A petition was granted on October 1, 1912 and took effect on December 9, 1912
creating the RM of Nipawin No. 487. The LID became the Rural Municipality of Nipawin # 487 on
January 1, 1913.
This rural municipality is located in the "Heart of the Northeast" bounded on the north by the Saskatchewan River, on the east by Range 13, on the south by Township 49 and on the west by range 18. Within its boundaries are the town of Nipawin, the village's of Codette and Aylsham and the hamlet of Pontrilas as well as the Nipawin Municipal Airport.
The RM of Nipawin No.487 is a highly diverse municipality comprised of some of the best agricultural land in the province.
There is also a ski hill, two regional parks, cabin rentals, a bird sanctuary, a heritage site, and several campgrounds.
There is a diverse variety of activities offered in the area and more to come!
Maurice G Street Bird Sanctuary
The 162 ha preserve, 17 km northeast of Nipawin, covers the portion of section 1- 52-14-W2 that lies east of the Saskatchewan River, plus the south half of section 12-52- 14-W2 south of the Saskatchewan River. Maurice G. Street Wildlife Sanctuary features ancient flood-plain terrain as well as high ground overlooking the Saskatchewan River. It is heavily wooded with Tamarack, Balsam Fir, White Spruce, and Balsam and Aspen poplars. Jack Pine is dominant on the sandy upland soil. The Large Yellow Lady’s-slipper and the rare Ram’s-head Lady’s-slipper grow in several locations. Stan Riome and Doug Phillips initiated the project to preserve the area.
The Saskatchewan Natural History Society established the sanctuary in 1968, and aptly named it after Maurice Street (1910-1966), an ardent, self-taught naturalist of the Nipawin area. In his short life, Maurice identified over 245 bird species, collected the eggs of over 100, found the nests of 142 species, banded 13,214 individual birds and published over 28 papers in the Blue Jay. Nature Saskatchewan has leased this property from Saskatchewan Environment since 1967 and is responsible for paying taxes and for general stewardship.
To get there, drive 6 km east on Highway 55 from the RCMP-KFC corner in Nipawin. Turn north onto a well-maintained road (which becomes a trail) and proceed for about 11 km. At the “T” junction, turn east (right) and then follow the trail as it turns north (left) to reach the large entrance sign to the sanctuary. For more information, click here.
Thomas Houlihan - 1913-1914
W. Dickinson - 1915-1916
Wm. Mathews 1917-1918
A.R. Parker 1919-
W. Dickinson - 1920-1921
Roy McVagh - 1922-1924
James Bayliss 1925-1927
Roy McVagh - 1928-1931
David McAuley - 1932-
CHas Fitzgerald - 1933-1935, 1940
A.E. Hulley - 1935-1939, 1941-1944
E.C. Hutcgubgs 1945-1947
S. Holoway - 1948-1950
Alen Allan - 1951-1957
S. Holoway - 1958
T.M. Clarkson 1959-1970
Andy Eberle - 1971-1972
K.R. Jones - 1973-1978
Wm. Hamilton 1979 - 1979
William Hamilton - 1979-1990
Earl Becker - 1991-1998
Lyle Larson - 1999 - 2012
Mark Knox - 2013-2017
Dona Hoppe - 2018 - Current
Past Secretary -Treasurers /
Frank Inkster - 1913-1939
F.G. Petrie - 1939-1940
Dyke Carlton - 1940-1958
Sid Woodward - 1958, 1967-1979
Mary Woodward - 1959-1966
Lois L. Drobot - 1979-1981
Eunice Holte Rudy - 1981 - 2015
Ashley Lonson - 2016-2017
Nathalie Hipkins - 2018 - Current
Little Bridge School was built in 1922 and closed in 1963. It was located at
SE 11-49-16 W2. The amount to build the building and all equipment for the school cost $ 4600.00. Each Rate payer was to haul one load of material from Star City. This was a two day journey and they each received $7.50.
Mr. Archer J. Hunt was the first teacher in 1922.
The school allowed all children to attend the school including non-rate payers who had child.
Back in 1927 the school closed for five months due to bad roads, lack of funds and heavy debentures. It closed in Nov 1927 for ten days due to most children having the chicken pox and in 1933 some children could not attend school due to warm clothing not being available. A barn was built in 1924, by donations, for the horses children rode to school on. It was their responsibility to clean the barn.
In 1935 E.M Bigelow built a dog kennel for the dog teams which were used by students to get to school.
The School was Located at SE 01 50 16 W2. A roughly 5 mile area boarding NewField District and the river had 25 land owners.
Four families had school aged children.
The first teacher for Elkhorn was Miss Nora Ann Beddone in 1917. She had ten pupils. The school closed in 1966.
After it closed kids started to get bused to Codette SK.
Was located at NE 05 47 17 W2.
The school was open from 1920 and closed in June 1966.
The first teacher was David Nickel who had 26 pupils enroll.
In 1928 a teachers residence was needed, so they bought the house of late Mrs. Wiebe and that house was moved onto the school grounds.
In June 1933 a meeting was called for ratepayers to talk of an expansion. The school had grown to 68 pupils and another 12 who were unable to attend due to room. In fall of 1933 a second room was built and
high school also came to reality.
Unfortunately in 1949 it became clear to discontinue use of that room mainly because high school enrollment was low.
In 1951 it was moved to close the one room and only employ one teacher.
In March 1925 - it was moved that the teacher could arrange to have the school house for a centre to try the entrance examination.
Although the school closed in 1966 it was used as a community centre.
There was a large homecoming picnic July 1971. Lots of past students and teachers attended as well as local people.
Once the school was closed it was used as a community centre.
This centre is now known as "The Lost River Community Centre".
Located on NE 08-49-17 W2.
The first teacher was Dorthy Atkinson as the school opened in 1918.
A second school was built in 1941 and electricity was installed in 1958.
In 1963 the school was insulated making winter more bearable.
The school closed in 1964 and at that time the students were bused to Gronlid.
Inkster School Building and the Inkster School is a Municipal Heritage Property located approximately 5 km west of the Village of Codette. Situated on a small plain surrounded by a partial tree row, the property features a stucco-clad, one-room school built in 1914 and a wood-frame teacherage built in 1932.
The Codette (later renamed Inkster) School District was founded in 1913 and within a year the one-room school was constructed. The current teacherage was added in 1932, replacing an original residence attached to the school. The property remained as a school until the district was amalgamated in 1963 and, today, is used as a museum. For more information, click here.
The Nipawin Bible College was born as a result of the prayerful and burdened vision of a group of Christian men from Tisdale, Saskatchewan in 1934. Their desire was to begin an evangelical and interdenominational Bible training centre in northeastern Saskatchewan which would equip young men and women for Christian ministry.
The school was first situated at the junction of the Carrot and Leather Rivers, and was named ‘Two Rivers Bible Institute’. God prospered the humble beginnings of this venture of faith and within the next twenty years, twenty-eight of the graduates had entered a full-time missionary career. In the mid-fifties, repeated spring flooding of the campus forced the school to relocate to its present 135 acre site just south of Nipawin.
It was also renamed ‘Nipawin Bible Institute.’
God has continued to bless the work He began and the Institute carries a rich heritage of deep spiritual convictions and standards which continue to characterize its ministry. The original goals and visions have not been lost. NBC continues to train Christian men and women for God’s service. For more information, click here.
Last update July 30, 2021 Copyright © 2019 RM of Nipawin No.487 - All Rights Reserved.
Photo credits to: Josee Chabot, Ashley Lonson, Christian Paquette, Janel Parkinson, Ken Shreiner,
Barry Williams, Joe Woodward, Wapiti Valley Regional Park, Wayne Bernesky, Search for Yesteryears Volume 1 & 2
Powered by GoDaddy